Progress on my 2nd engine for a 2013 VT

This section contains all general discussions on all G4FJ platforms
1V4N

Progress on my 2nd engine for a 2013 VT

Post by 1V4N » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

The last two-weeks has been a whirlwind of action items for my build. Its finishing up on a positive note!

For those who don't know, my original stock OEM engine had the short block replaced under Hyundai warranty at just over 50,000KM/31,000miles due to a dealership mistake (low oil after scheduled oil change).

Fast forward to present day @ 103,750KM/64,000miles my cylinder #4 decided to fail. Compression tested @ only 50PSI. A chunk of the piston edge decided to break away...

So now onto 2nd engine, and this time its being built to withstand more than daily driving grind.

I've sent out my stock OEM Turbo for some work - 49mm, 9 blade goodness :D

Then I proceeded to order all the following:
1.6L Gamma Engine upgrade package from 845 Motorsports - Forged pistons, Forged rods and ARP headstuds
2013-2017 Veloster Turbo Performance Clutch and Flywheel Kit from Pierce Motorsports - Sprung 6 Puck Ceramic Clutch Disc

In additional to the above items, I've also decided to order all the goodies that is needed for a complete rebuild engine kit: Gasket kit, Thrust bearings, rod bearings, main cap bolts, injectors, etc.

I am getting anxious, as the car has been out of commission for about 1.5 months now. At least the parts are now all ordered, and I expect things to start arriving over the coming weeks.
Proud member of G4FTUNED since August 5/2017!

2013 Veloster Turbo Vitamin C
Building in progress, not bought
My MOD/Build List

klingon
Site Admin

Re: Progress on my 2nd engine for a 2013 VT

Post by klingon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 pm

I am very familiar with this process to say the least lol. Don't feel bad mine has been down for 7 or so months I have lost count, 3 of them have been waiting for pistons to be made :( But they should be here next week.

1V4N

Post by 1V4N » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:56 pm

It's been nerve-wracking with the long wait, and also ensuring all the parts are ordered correctly.

I'm very fortunate to have gotten help from some very patient people who are wonderful contributors to this platform, such as JoshS, BryceB, KyleB and JimP. Also Albert H has been great in helping get all the necessary OEM parts direct from South Korea for great price!

As of this writing I'm waiting on the final pieces before I drop everything off to the engine builders: Forged Rods, Forged Pistions and ARP headstuds plus Stuffed turbo :)

Sprung 6 Puck Ceramic Clutch Disc and lightened flywheel arrived over the past 2-days.

I still need to upgrade the factory fuel line. I originally bought one from BTR (found out its actually Turbosocks line) and it has the original crappy fittings that can pop loose! Fortunately I have never installed it.

I tried to get replacement fittings from Turbosocks, but the conversation with them promising to ship out upgraded replacement fitting never materialized (Nate practically "forgot" and never followed up after several inquiries SMH), so much for customer support BS.

I've decided not to use the braided Turbosocks fuel line, and will go ahead and purchase the complete new braided fuel line & pump from 6EE soon (they are currently out of stock).

All these boxed goodies sitting in my home, I'm tempted to open up and take a few pictures to post LOL
Proud member of G4FTUNED since August 5/2017!

2013 Veloster Turbo Vitamin C
Building in progress, not bought
My MOD/Build List

klingon
Site Admin

Post by klingon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 pm

The pistons just got done as well so look forward to them coming. My engine should be coming back from GE soon. Im glad to help in anyway I can, thats what the community is about.